Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Daily Sketch Project Day 24 - Jesus in the Garden of Gethesmane and Khaleesi and Her Dragons

So today's a bit anomalous because I've done two sketches, instead of one. I made an exception today because my Aunt Cheri has really been working to get in this first suggestion, and she was right on time with it and everything, but it was on the wrong status. Then Lisandra made the first comment on today's status, so I decided to do them both. I'll make a post after this working to clear up any confusion about where to comment. People have commented before on the wrong status, but never so promptly, so I excepted this situation.

ANYWAY, Aunt Cheri wanted me to draw Jesus in the Garden of Gethesmane, where he prayed for three hours the night before his Crucifixion. It's been a long time since I've read these verses, and I was taken aback by how intense they were. It's one of those times where Jesus is shown as most human I think.

He says to his disciples, before going to pray, "“My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death." Then he goes and repeatedly begs God not to make it so that he must die by Crucifixion. In the verses, it's clearly stated that he's anguished. And he's desperate. If there's any way around the particular fate God has in mind, he's pleading for it. It's very powerful to me, and really shows his humanity. 

I hope you like it Aunt Cheri! I'm sorry I couldn't do more with such powerful source material! 
 
But taking any actual scene on artistically is a historically imposing process! Hundreds and hundreds of great artists through history, some of the greatest, depict Biblical scenes. I'm not Leonardo, or Albrecht Durer or anything, but I did what I could in a half hour time frame.  
 
And Lisandra wanted me to draw Daenerys from Game of Thrones, and her dragons, particularly from the season 1 finale. I'm not sure I've ever drawn Khaleesi before, so it was fun to finally get to do that! I also got to use the cursory knowledge of bat wing anatomy that I learned for a piece in October :P  That was very handy, as it turned out, since GoT dragon wings (and most dragon wings you see) are basically bat wings.

I hope you like it, Lisandra, and that everyone else does as well!  


Tomorrow's suggestion will come from tumblr, but watch out here for the new status I'll make on facebook at 12PM PST on Friday!  



No comments:

Post a Comment