Friday, April 10, 2015

Daily Sketch Project Day 19 - A Ghastly Encounter in the Life of Wilkie Collins

So today’s suggestion comes from Mark​, and involved Victorian-era writer Wilkie Collins.  He asked for this: "Wilkie Collins, in a laudanum-induced stupor, frozen in terror at the bottom of his stairwell as a ghastly woman in a green silk dress, with rotting skin and black, empty eyes, descends toward him, smiling in the flickering light of the gas lamps on."  This is, if memory serves, a scene straight from the pages of Dan Simmons’s amazing novel Drood.  It’s a historical novel, written from the point of view of Wilkie Collins, a friend and colleague of Charles Dickens.  Dickens enlists Collins in his research for his final book, a book involving murder.  This research takes them to all manner of strange and disturbing places Wilkie finds himself increasingly plagued by the macabre and increasingly supernatural phenomenon.  It’s a seriously amazing novel.  One of my favorites.  Ever.  Guillermo del Toro was supposed to direct an adaptation, but I don’t know if that’s still happening or not...  I want/need it so much.

ANYWAY, Mark is actually the one who recommended the book to me, and I am ever so glad that he did.  I’ve wanted to draw from Drood for a long time actually, but little ever panned out, so I was ecstatic to jump on this prompt!  I just wish I’d had more time with it.  I still have the vision for this drawing in my head!  Thirty minutes simply wasn’t enough time for me to get it down in the way I wanted.  I probably should have sacrificed clear lines for more tone, but the die is cast now, alas.

I hope you all can get an idea of what I was going for based on the description Mark provided, and what I did do.  I hope you like it Mark, and everyone else!  Thanks for the wonderful suggestion!

Tomorrow’s prompt will come from facebook, and watch out at 12PM PST on Sunday for my next post on tumblr! 


No comments:

Post a Comment