Friday, May 22, 2015

Daily Sketch Project Day 61 - A Memorable Landscape (Brays Bayou)



Hiyo! Today's prompt comes from my friend Brandon, who wanted me to draw "A memorable landscape." I've seen my share of memorable landscapes in my time, but the one which came most to mind for this prompt was a particular place on the Brays Bayou bike trail. If memory serves, it's after Kirby, around the medical center. Some years ago, when I was in high school, I think, my mom, my dad, my sister, and myself all took a bike ride up to the Museum District. It was overcast, comfortably breezy, a perfect temperature, and during the ride, it rained just ever so slightly. Enough to enjoy, but not so much as to soak. I don't know that anything much happened at this particular place (we may have gotten off our bikes around there for a few mintes), though I don't know that I'd seen, or at least recognized it consciously before that day, but it's one of the vistas that I connect with that experience in my mind. That ride with my family is one of my best memories. I don't know if it distinguished itself more than any other for anyone else, but it's something I've always remembered and carried with me. Thus, a memorable landscape.

On the art side, I didn't draw this from pure memory. As much an impression as that day made in my mind, I didn't trust my memory to make a detailed accurate reconstruction of it, but I managed to find a video that I think covered the right place, and used it as reference. Quick-painting the clouds turned out pretty well, but I don't think the same can be said for the grass, sadly. It could definitely use a lot more time, because I'd like to give that memory the visual representation it deserves.

Thanks for the prompt Brandon, and thanks to Mom, Dad, and Laura for everything, as always, and for making that memory with me.  



No comments:

Post a Comment