Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Daily Storyboard Project

Hello folks!  So I've been having a lovely time doing the Daily Sketch Project, and I've been wanting to do something wherein I can work a longer form, more narrative angle into the mix.  Thirty minutes isn't enough to do too much of a story with a lot of detail, so I've worked out something that I want to try. 

Here's how I'm going to try it: On Day 1, I'll work up an idea that I want to turn into storyboards.  For brainstorming something to board, I'll give myself an hour.  After that, I'll give myself an hour to thumbnail out as much as I can from that idea.  Then, on each day after that, I'll work for two hours, doing at least 3 boards per hour.  So six boards a day until I catch up with where the thumbnails left off.  Then I'll spend another hour the next day doing more thumbnails, and repeat the process until the idea's fully boarded out. 

In this way I'm for sure doing a little storyboarding, and can get some of the ideas that rattle around in my head down into actual visual form.  And it'll keep me from getting too wrapped up in details, and get me moving at a good clip.  Hopefully it will get me drawing better faster over time!  At least for the inaugural run, I'll be working from an idea that I have for something.  Depending on how things go, I may open this up to suggestions from others in the future. 

I've already worked out the idea and some thumbnails for this first go-through, so I'll be working on some boards today.  I'll post what I have every day for you folks to see.  Like with my Daily Sketches, it's much more motivating for me to be accountable in public to other people than simply to myself.  Makes it feel more concrete. 

That's all for now!  I'll post up some boards later today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment