Thursday, June 18, 2015

Daily Storyboard Project Day 2 - Autumn's Discontent: Beach Day

Hey everyone! Here with some more storyboards for ya, in which a redesign of one of the main characters, Riley (also known at the superhero Metrus), first sees the light of day. It's possible and even likely that he'll go through further design changes, but this is where I am with him now.

When I first designed characters for Autumn's Discontent, I was much less aware of issues of representation and didn't think nearly so much about it, so most of the folks were predictably white. In recent times, I've been going back and adding more racial variety, the first evidence being the new Riley, who is now of Filipino descent. I remember seeing an article some time ago about the absurd disconnect between the number of Filipino people in the US and the number of Filipino characters in ANY media. It's low in a severely unjust way. If any of my Filipino friends and family would like to help me learn more about Filipino culture, and what it's like living and growing up Filipino, I'll be seriously grateful. As one who is about as white as you can get, of course I have no knowledge about that experience, and wouldn't want to proceed without doing my darnedest to represent life as a Filipino as faithfully as I can.

The unfinished frame in there was going to be a between shot for a couple frames back, but I realized I think I can just mess with one of the shots a little to where it might not be needed, which I'll do tomorrow.

Thanks for checking this out, and I hope you all enjoy it! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment