Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Daily Sketch Project Day 72 - Favorite Unadapted Literary Character: Wilkie Collins

Hey there people!  Today's prompt, a very tricky one, comes from Brandon, who wanted to see my favorite character from a novel, yet unadapted to film.  I wish I had a view of my bookshelves at home, so I could peruse the things that I've read over the years, but I had to go by what I've previously marked down, what I have here, and what I can remember.  Even then it was a strange and stressful process.  It made me realize that a great many of the books I've read are heavier on concept and ideas tha necessarily complex characters.  I guess maybe that's the case with a lot of horror particularly? 

Either way, although I've drawn him for this project before, I come back to Wilkie Collins, admittedly an actual historical figure, but also the narrator of the historical-fiction novel Drood by Dan Simmons.  What can I say?  I'm a sucker for Mozart-Salieri stories.  And unreliable, jealous, Wilkie, though not a nice character, really is one of my all time favorites.  And Drood is one of my top books.  I hope it IS one day adapted to the screen.  There were rumors years ago about Guillermo del Toro, but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon, since I haven't heard anything about it SINCE then.  Ah well!  Here's hoping! 

I hope this satisfies your prompt in a way you like Brandon!  Thanks for the excellent, if tricky idea!  Hope you and everyone like it!  Here's to you Wilkie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment